Thursday, January 14, 2010

You Can't Save a Dollar You Don't Have

I was unable to find many outright freebies during last week's coupon promotion at Harris Teeter, and that limited my Super Doubles shopping to only 2 trips. I made the first trip (that I blogged about) and did one more trip on Tuesday, where I cashed in some internet coupons for free Select Harvest soup, free yogurt, dirt cheap coffee creamer (which is a necessity in this house...we don't drink coffee without it!), and some frozen pizza. Money was tight this week because we still needed to pay the January mortgage, and the problems were compounded when Scott's Paypal account that he's had since college was compromised in some sort of Skype fraud ring that's been going on for years. So, hopefully when triples roll around again, we'll be in a better financial position to cash in!!! This week, I have my eyes on Progresso Soups (Buy 2/Get 3), Old Orchard Juices (B2, G3), Smart Balance Popcorn, Betty Crocker Mashed Potatoes, some Lysol cleaners, and my usual discount meats and produce.

In the hotel world this week, I finished my monthly newsletter for the employees, was provided with some "Facebook Friends" rates to promote (Click here!), and we decided to participate in the 1st Annual Hospitality Olympics (Click here!). We also discovered that the Friends and Family rates are still available (Click here!) - these are GREAT deals for leisure travel!

Katelyn and Abby have enjoyed going to the pool this week. Both girls are like fish is the water (well, Scott says Abby is...she was too cold to enjoy it tonight when we went) and Katelyn is now doing flips off the wall into the water. Scott and I both think that she'll be doing backflips by the end of the summer! Stay tuned for video of that... :) We're also very excited that it looks like the weather might get a little warmer for the next week so that we can all enjoy being outside more. Both of our vehicles are in desperate need of a wash and the girls could use a few healthy doses of sunshine. Generally, the coldest month in the coastal Carolina area in February, so it will be interesting to see if that holds true for 2010. I would love to see a significant snowfall this winter, but we probably won't luck into that in Wilmington 2 years in a row.

The builders in the neighborhood started building the fence in our back yard today!!! We feel so lucky that we didn't jump the gun and build it ourselves before the had the chance to give it to us for free. :) Perhaps after Scott gets a job we'll finish out fencing in the side yard, but just them doing our back yard will save us a good thousand dollars! I <3 getting things for free!

(BTW, I just lost a bet with my husband...he said CSI had been on for at least 10 years...I said no way...Wikipedia says he wins because the 10th Season premiered in September 2009)

We hope to have an enjoyable weekend getting lots of quality time in with each other and perhaps cooking up the 2nd turkey that I bought pre-Christmas (the price was just THAT good...I had to get 2!). Scott has an interview tomorrow for a short-term contract position and we still have our fingers crossed for something else to come through. I am tired of living off the system and am ready to hang up the money worries!!! I want to just return to being a happy family that works hard so that we can play hard! Maybe soon...who knows?

All my love,

No comments:

Post a Comment